Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Fun Lessons From GrandParents

Now that I have children of my own, and a bank account that realizes I have children of my own, it takes me back to when I was growing up and all the extra activities I was involved in, and hobbies I had.

Guitar, banjo, oboe, clarinet, flute, gymnastics, soccer, volleyball, the list goes on and on.

I remember every Saturday morning, my grandfather would take me over to to my guitar lessons, where if I played the song I had practiced for the week perfectly I would get $5.00. In the meantime, my grandfather was probably easily paying $60-$100 a month for those lessons. 7 years of lessons, just to be able to say I can play some Christmas songs and a few country tunes.

I mean, that's almost $1200 a year. Over the course of 7 years that's almost $8400. I really don't think my guitar skills are worth $8400, but, I now understand why they did that for me. And that was just for that one hobby.

They wanted me to have the experience. Which is why I will eventually shell out thousands of dollars for whatever musical instrument, sport or other hobby my kids are interested in, so that they can say they were able to try it.

So thank you to my Mom, my grandmother and my grandfather. I appreciate it now!

No comments: