Friday, December 24, 2010

What Makes a Successful Santa Visit?

In this instance I think it's the fact that we went with 3 kids and returned home with 3 kids.

Okay, it wasn't THAT bad.

Going to see Santa was something I had been putting off. Up until this year my Mom and I had a tradition of her taking a Friday off work and helping me to take all the boys to see Santa. So I was kind of bummed that we weren't able to do that this year.

One weekend Lands' End was having a free breakfast and the chance to see Santa. I had signed us up for 9am on a Saturday, and of course when the time came I didn't want to load everyone up that early and drive out to Dodgeville.

So here it is the last week before Christmas and we had to brave the mall one night. I wanted to get in and get out as quickly as possible. We got there and Santa was on break (I guess even Santa needs to pee), so we got in line and waited. It wasn't that long of a wait, I'd guess about 20 minutes. I brought a stash of marshmallows as bribery and only had to use them for about the last 5 with Erik. When we got up to Santa I didn't really think there would be a problem...

Wrong.

No one addressed us...not even Santa. There was a lady taking the pictures, a man taking the money and of course...Santa. We just had the boys climb up and Keith tried to put Erik down and he wasn't having any of it. I told the girl to take the picture even with him crying. Nick was good but more interested in the sock he was holding that he made that day. And Kolbe wanted to walk Santa through all the train magazines he brought. Santa listened to him surprisingly, and then said "Good luck with that". Not kidding.

I'm glad we took them of course, and we have the picture to prove it. I'm glad Santa is pulling through and getting the train Kolbe wanted...that is going to make the trip all worth it!!

No comments: