Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Best Moment of My Life

I'm not sure if it's the song I'm listening to, or some events going on in my friend's lives, but I have been reflecting tonight on that small window of time that changed me forever, the birth of my first son.

I remember as if it just happened, I can see the details like I am still there. Amazing how I know I will never forget anything about that day, yet I can't even remember details from yesterday.

Keith and I didn't know whether we were having a boy or a girl, what to expect, how the day would go, how we would feel. I remember laying there, hearing the doctor say how many minutes until we had a baby. Lots of pressure, feeling like it was taking forever, bright lights, lots of foreign sounds. Excitement building up and doctor's getting ready as the time came closer. Everyone gets moving and I hear a strong cry...the doctor says "It's a boy", and I start crying uncontrollably. The emotions are pouring through me and I have never felt anything more powerful in my life.

Keith brought him to me after just barely a minute. He was the most perfect thing I have ever seen. My heart is now walking around outside of my body, and I am a better person because of it.

No comments: