Sunday, March 16, 2008

"Horton Hears a Who" Review!

Decided to take Kolbe to see "Horton Hears a Who" today.

I like taking him to the movies, and today was the first time I had taken him to the Studio Movie Grill, so of course I was very excited to eat food and enjoy the movie at the same time! =)

Somehow over the course of my 31 years I had not gotten around to reading this book, so this was new to me. I liked the concept of it, the idea of another civilization on a tiny speck, the battle between whether or not something is real if you can't touch it, see it or hear it, and the overall story.

What I didn't like, or have yet to understand, is why they gear these movies towards very small children and find it necessary to use words such as "moron", "idiot" and "stupid". I am a firm believer in not censoring certain things because I believe kids and adults can be in environments where they are exposed to certain things and also exposed to opinions and thoughts.

For example: the fact that most people in my family curse up a storm is a constant thing. I'm not going to change their behavior, and I'm not going to keep my children away from them, so I decide to consistently remind Kolbe that it's not necessary to use that kind of language and that my opinion on the subject is that your point can be made without it.

So that's what I did in this movie today. Every time a word like that was used, I whispered to him that the word used was not nice, and he knew! He has yet to learn to use his "inside voice" in the movies, so he also reminded me very loudly every time the color green came into play that it was his favorite color!

Overall-good movie. I would let Kolbe watch it again. The colors in it are amazing!

No comments: