Friday, June 13, 2008

Review: "The Happening"- NOT SO HAPPENIN'

We just saw this movie, and I'm not quite sure what to think of it yet. I didn't hate it, but I can't say I liked it either.

It's a Shyamalan film, so of course I had to see it. I loved "Signs", "The Village", not so fond of "Unbreakable" or "Lady in the Lake". This one seemed interesting and I was expecting a huge plot twist which is always what is so great about his movies.

Here's a little summary from another site: Suddenly and for seemingly no reason a neuro-toxin is released in the Northeastern United States that causes people to murder themselves in terrible ways. The effect sweeps through different towns and everyone races to escape, unsure of what's really going on. The lead, Mark Wahlberg, is a schoolteacher who is on the outs with wife Zooey Deschanel. They flee together with a few other strangers and try to figure out what has caused the deadly outbreak.

That about sums it up. The beginning started out good and I was eagerly waiting for answers, a twist, something. But then it got slow at times and the acting wasn't the greatest and then it just "ended". No real answers. And sometimes that's okay, sometimes the imagination is good, but this just wasn't executed well.

I wouldn't say don't go see it, but just be forewarned, it's not one of his better films!

No comments: