Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Is Retouching Socially Irresponsible?

In the wake of a disturbingly wrinkle-free Twiggy ad campaign, British Members of Parliament are calling for a ban on Photoshopping ads aimed at children, and disclosure of digital alterations in ads aimed at adults.

See Article

I don't know how I feel about the topic. In my line of work we use photoshop day in and day out. Photography is by no means a direct reflection of what's in front of the lens, so there is some definite interpretation and manipulation with the human eye when working with imagery. And of course I've altered some of my own pictures to give myself a "glow"!

But on the other hand, I have seen numerous images in magazines, online, etc. of people with porcelain skin, missing-rib waistlines and flawless perfection. I do feel this puts a standard of beauty out there, BUT it's also important that people are taught this does exist and to not let it take over your mind and self-esteem.

There will always be marketing plans, the need to sell a lifestyle, youth, perfection, beauty, class, social standard. That's not going away. Education on reality, acceptance and social structure is key so that we can look past the flawless execution through photoshop and know it's not what we need to aspire to be.

No comments: