Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Am I Addicted to the Internet?

First off, can I say how ironic I find it that there are countless sites ONLINE for internet addiction. This one (http://www.netaddiction.com/) even claims this statement "Welcome to the Center for Internet Addiction Recovery <------------, --------> your resource<------------- for assessment and treatment for Internet addiction disorders." I looked up signs of an addiction, where else, on the internet... Preoccupation with the Internet. (Thoughts about previous on-line activity or anticipation of the next on-line session.) YES

Use of the Internet in increasing amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction. NO

Repeated, unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back, or stop Internet use. YES

Feelings of restlessness, moodiness, depression or irritability when attempting to cut down use of the Internet. NO

On-line longer than originally intended. YES

Jeopardized or risked loss of significant relationships, job, educational or career opportunities because of Internet use. NO

Lies to family members, therapist, or others to conceal the extent of involvement with the Internet. NO

Use of the Internet as a way to escape from problems or to relieve a dysphoric mood. (e.g., feelings of hopelessness, guilt, anxiety, depression.) NO

Okay, so 3 YES and 5 NO. That's a good sign I guess. My addiction is more work-related, and needing to get information as soon as possible. I also use it as a resource for anything I need, shopping, research, weather, entertainment. I can't remember the last time I read a newspaper, besides the ads. It's the reason I refuse to get a PDA, because I would never have a personal life. I feel like if there is something to be done, or information sitting there for me, I can't just let it sit, I have to get it.

The reason I was prompted to really think about this, is because last night I couldn't get online, and I really didn't want to contact tech support to get it, and I got really upset. Not only did I want to work, but I wanted to check email, look up the weather, just plain surf, and I couldn't. I felt unproductive, and anxious.

That sounds pretty bad. Maybe I need to look into a support group.

No comments: