Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Day One in Boston

Travel this morning went fairly smooth with the exception of a terminal change and trying to find a cab that would take a credit card. My flight left at 8:45 this morning, and we landed just as they had anticipated-1:20pm Eastern time. Took a taxi over to the hotel. On the way I went through a tunnel that reminded me of the one in D.C. IN D. C. we had Kolbe with us at the time and he loved the tunnel. This one was just like it. All the orange lights and really long.

Made it to the hotel. It's really nice...a very pleasant surprise. ;) Got settled in and then checked out the city a little bit. Had a hard time finding the university, but only because I went around the back of the building and they were doing a lot of construction. Right across the street is the Granary Burial Ground where a lot of historical names lay to rest, a lot from the Boston Massacre. Saw the plots for John Hancock, Paul Revere and Mary "Mother" Goose.

The city and architecture remind me a little bit of Italy. Some of the same shape details, and the way the streets are laid out are very similar. There were a lot of people out. Running, waking, shopping. Getting to destinations by foot is common, along with the underground bus system. I also saw a few trollies. The area seemed good, there were a few people sleeping on the park benches, and there were a lot of dark alleys. It got dark at 4:30. I walked through Boston Commons which is the oldest public park in the United States. The colors of the trees were beautiful.

Had dinner in the hotel restaurant. The food was good and the view was great-it overlooked the city street. I am anxious for the seminar to begin tomorrow, and hope I can keep up with the intellectual level in the room! I'm ready to learn!

Boston Pictures

No comments: