Monday, January 7, 2008

The Next Generation

These are my grandparents.

For Christmas this year, my Mom organized a family picture for them with all of their children (4), grandchildren (6) and great-grandchildren (2). You can imagine the task in that getting 12 people, including a 3 year old and 1 year old to sit and take a nice picture.

They were really surprised and happy with the picture. They must have spent 30 minutes sitting and looking at it and talking about it. It was hung on the wall that day. My grandmother even took down some Elvis pictures to make room, so you know that's a winner. Those kinds of gifts are always worth so much more than something of monetary value, those gifts with sentiment are cherished.

I guess I've spent a lot of time thinking about generations lately, and I think this group picture sparked it. I feel very fortunate to have such a strong relationship with my grandparents, but they are in their mid-seventies, and slowing down. It's starting to hit me that my Mom will be 50 this year, still so young, but I remember when she was 30, when she was my age, and now I have surpassed that point.

I remember when we would have family functions, and I was the "child" of the bunch. The youthful one goofing off with everyone, lots of energy and playing around. Now I find myself chasing after little ones, trying to keep them in line and being the "adult". I will never be the one that needs to be taken care of anymore, roles have shifted and I am the caretaker. When my grandparents are no longer here, there will only be one generation for me to look up to, for advice, for stories about the past, memories, and a connection to my future.

That's a real eye-opener.

No comments: