Sunday, November 9, 2008

Pet Peeve

I have a list of pet peeves that have not changed too much over the last couple of years, and there's one that I am constantly reminded of in social situations, the work environment and even around family.

Pet Peeve #1: People do not ask questions!

Also, as a sub peeve, they do ask questions, but they really don't care what the answer is, they are just making conversation to bide the time.

As I've gotten older, I have noticed I am much more drawn to people that I can have an equal conversation with. I prefer it when we can both go back and forth between questions, answers, stories, small talk, topics, etc. And the topper is-to find someone you can have this with, and then have it again a few weeks later and the other person actually REMEMBERS something you told them the time before. I cannot emphasize how many times I have been around people for 3-4 hours at a time, and they don't ask a single question about what's going on in my life. Work, family, hobbies, etc.

I've talked to Keith a lot about it and just asked him if he realized how hard it was to find? I can only think of a very, very small handful of people in my life who I have this with, and I am very grateful for it.

It shows a real genuine person to do this-caring, attention to detail and listening skills. Also, social skills. Just something I like to keep note of, a mental tab if you will, of what I want to surround myself with and have as a part of my life.

No comments: